Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Review - Fat Girl on a Plane by Kelly deVos



Fat Girl on a Plane
by Kelly deVos

Grade Level: 10 – 12
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Harlequin Teen; Original edition (June 5, 2018)

From debut author Kelly deVos comes an unforgettable story about fierce fashion, pursuing your dreams, and loving yourself at any size.
FAT
Cookie Vonn’s dreams include getting out of Phoenix and becoming the next great fashion designer. But in the world of fashion, being fat is a cardinal sin. It doesn’t help that she’s constantly compared to her supermodel mother—and named after a dessert.
Cookie scores a trip to New York to pitch her design portfolio, but her plans are put on standby when she’s declared too fat to fly. When she finally arrives, she finds she’s been replaced by her ultrathin rival. Cookie vows to lose weight, get out of the friend zone with her crush, and put her dreams back on track.
SKINNY
Cookie expected sunshine and rainbows, but nothing about her new life is turning out like she planned. When the fashion designer of the moment offers her what she’s always wanted—an opportunity to live and study in New York—she finds herself in a world full of people more interested in putting women down than dressing them up. Her designs make waves, but her real dream of creating great clothes for people of all sizes seems to grow more distant by the day.
Will she realize that she’s always had the power to make her own dreams come true?


There is so much I want to say about this book, but don't know how to articulate my feelings.
Cookie Vonn was so relatable!! She validated a lot of my feelings. She also got me thinking too.

I began writing notes while I was reading.

I started questioning how I perceived things regarding size, weight, and fashion.

I wondered about things like, "Why are most plus size clothes "grandma-ish" looking?" "Why is there one clothing store geared toward being on trend, and a basic tank top is twenty-five dollars? A nice blouse is over fifty dollars? A dress is ninety dollars?" "Is plus size clothing more expensive because they are using more material?"

My favorite quote of Cookie's is: "We need fashion and style for all girls everywhere. We need fabulous fashion finds from size two to thirty-two. We want a place for style that will put a smile on your face."

And, that is what I loved about this book. It made me think about my life, how society treats fat people, and representation of fat people.

I'm so lucky I never went through name calling or heckling growing up from strangers about my weight. From family? That is a whole other story.

I felt so badly about how Cookie's parents treated her. Thank goodness for her grandma. And every story needs a villain. Kennes was awful towards Cookie.

I'm unsure how I felt about the men Cookie's life. All flawed in ways, and most did not treat my girl, Cookie, right.

Overall, I hope to see more of Cookie Vonn in the future!

I loved the emotional journey Fat Girl on a Plane took me on, and I give it 5-stars!


Add to Goodreads badge

Purchase Links

Amazon | Books-A-Million | Barnes & Noble

.

About Kelly deVos

A third generation native Arizonan, Kelly deVos can tell you everything you’ve ever wanted to know about cactus, cattle and climate. She holds a B.A. in Creative Writing from Arizona State University and her work has been featured in Normal Noise and 202 Magazine. All proceeds from this book will be used on shoe subscription boxes and designer sunglasses.


Connect with Kelly

Website | Twitter | Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment